The Germiston Classic Road Race, also known as The Metric Century and/or The Imperial Century (hereinafter referred to as “The Events”) are organised by Germiston Wheelers Cycle Club and Germiston Rotary.
To participate in “The Events”, you need to consent to the Conditions of Entry during the online entry process. By paying and entering the event, you have consented to having read these rules.
- The cycling events are run in accordance with the rules of Cycling South Africa;
- All participants undertake to adhere to these rules as well as all rules of the event;
- In particular, riders are reminded that the following CSA rule that is applicable for all participants, eligible for prizes, or not:
16.5.3. The use of electronic timing devices for all competitors / categories shall be compulsory. The service provider shall timeously produce provisional results and update these once the official results have been made available by the President Commissaire.
- All participants are required to have a valid CSA Membership at the time of participating in the event. If you do not have a valid CSA Membership at the time on online entry, you will be required to purchase a day License for the event.
- “The Events” will take place regardless of weather conditions and will only be cancelled for safety reasons.
- No entry fees or product purchases will be refunded once your payment has been processed. After you have accepted these terms and finalised your payment, your entry will be confirmed and cannot be cancelled.
- All entrants accept that they participate entirely at their own risk and agree that they shall have no claim whatsoever against “The Event” Organisers, Officials, Volunteers, Service Providers, Sponsors and any other Individuals involved with “The Events” from any liability or claim resulting from any damage, loss or injury as a result of taking part in this event.
- Entrants accept responsibility for payment of any transaction made by Credit Card and reversed by the bank for any reason.
- An approved hard shell cycling helmet is compulsory, while tri-bars are not permitted in any form.
- The race route and profile will be available on this website, and although the route will be well marked, it is the sole and personal responsibility of every entrant to know the route. The Organisers take no responsibility for persons deviating from the route, or any consequences of such action.
- Cyclists must ride in a predictable and responsible manner and obey the traffic rules, traffic officers and marshals. Cyclists may be required to stop at intersections if necessary.
- All cyclists must keep to the left hand lane. Any rider crossing the centre line (whether physically painted or not, will be disqualified. This rule will be strictly enforced).
- No person under the age of 19 years (at 31/12/2021) may enter The Imperial Century (160km) event and no person under the age of 12 years (at 31/12/2021) may enter The Metric Centrury (100km) event. All minors must have parental consent.
- XXXXX is the official race timing system. All participants in both timed events will be issued a timing chip that is embedded in their race number. NO CHIP – NO TIME – NO RESULT – NO PRIZE!
Results will not be manually captured as a result of participants not using a correct timing chip or incorrectly attaching the timing chip. Participants without an official timing chip you will not be eligible for prize money.
- Any group starting ahead of their allocated start time will be disqualified.
- No participant may allow anyone else to use his/her number. Any per person who permits anyone else to use his/her number as well as the person using the number could be suspended for two years.
- Cyclists are to ensure that their cycles are in good working order and it is recommended that they carry spares.
- All entrants must complete the course by 14:00 at which time the marshals and traffic officials will withdraw from the routes.
- Cyclists wanting refreshments, must pull off the road at the water points, to receive refreshments.
- No seconding will be allowed from any vehicles. Due to the nature of the event, no support vehicles will be allowed on the route.
- Slip streaming behind vehicles is not permitted.
- Sweep vehicles, road Rangers (bikers) and emergency medical assistance will be patrolling the race route.
- Although the Organisers endeavour to place marshals at all possible intersections, participants must realise that they are sharing the route with normal traffic and should take care and should abide by the normal traffic rules. There are no traffic light intersections on the route, but there are 9 stop street intersections on the route.
- Prizes will be awarded in accordance with the prize list. Subject to the covid regulations at the time of the event, a prize giving ceremony may not be allowed. Teams will receive their prizes via electronic funds transfer (EFT).
- The validity of claiming their prizes closes on 31 January 2022, by which time all prizes must be claimed.
- The judges’ decision is final.
- The rules stated above are binding and the organisers, referees and traffic authorities’ ruling will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Failure to comply with any of the rules of this event will result in disqualification.
- By entering the event the entrant confirms that they abide by the rules and general conditions of entry for this race and that he/she is medically fit to complete the event, and that their cycle used is in a roadworthy condition.
- The ride will start on time, as advertised, and continue at pre-determined intervals thereafter according to the published start times. Ensure that you arrive early to avoid disappointment.
- Final results will be found on this website.
- All entrants accept that their officially recorded race time may be made available to CSA and any other affiliated race organiser to use for seeding purposes.
- The organisers have allowed E-Bikes to take part in The Metric Century (100Km) event. They will have their own category, and do no qualify for any of the prizes on offer.
- If you are entering for any person other than yourself (“third party”) then by accepting these terms and conditions, you do so being duly authorised by the third party to accept the terms and conditions on such third party’s behalf and you agree to indemnify the organisers and their representatives harmless against all claims.
- Force Majeure: No entry fee shall be refunded to a participant for a cancellation of the Event due to acts of God (so called Force Majeure), which acts shall include but not be limited to adverse weather conditions, riots, strikes, political unrest and/or any other occurrence not within the control of the event organiser.
- Cancellation Policy: No refund shall be given in the event that a participant cancels their entry into the event. The event organiser may consider a refund under exceptional circumstances such as illness and/or any other extraordinary circumstance. In that case, the Event organiser will evaluate a request for refund on its merits and such refund shall be at the discretion of the Event Organiser.
- Covid Policy: The organisers acknowledge that the event will be subject to the relevant regulation in place at thet time of the event. Participants will receive 90% of their entry back should the event be cancelled due to covid regulations. Alternatively, participants can roll their entry over to 2022, without any penalty.
- Waiver: Participants take part entirely at their own risk and agree that they shall have no claim whatsoever against the Organisers, any individual or official, marshal, assistant, helper or agent, the sponsors or any local authority or their employees, in respect of any loss or damage whatsoever which participants may suffer arising from any injury to their person or loss or damage to their property as a result of, or arising out of, whether directly or indirectly, the participants’ arrival and departure there from, attendance at registration, prize-giving or other function thereof, any loss or damage to bicycles or other equipment, however such loss or damage may arise. Persons signing this entry form as guardian of a minor hereby consent to such minor being bound by the a foregoing and further indemnify the organisers and aforementioned parties to the extent, of any, to which such minor is not capable of waiving his/her rights as stipulated above.
- Indemnity: The participant agrees to abide by the rules, and confirms that she/he has read them, and understands that she/he takes part in the “The Events” at his/her own risk and indemnifies the sponsors and/or organisers against any claim which may result from his/her participation. The participant further understands that it is his/her responsibility to be medically fit to take part in any/all of “The Events”. This indemnity applies equally to teams entering under the rules and conditions of entry. In entering the “The Events”, the participant understands that the Organisers will take photographs of the event including participants to the event and she/he consents to such photographs being taken at the event and being used for promotional and publicity purposes at the Organiser’s sole discretion. The participant further understands and accepts that the photographs are and will remain the property of the sponsors and/or organisers.